32450 State Highway 257 #A, Windsor, CO 80550 | 970-674-5105

Pet Steal Your Heart?

Pet Steal Your Heart?

If so, it could be a serious problem! With Valentine’s Day around the corner, it’s important to keep all those heart-shaped boxes of treats out of paw’s reach.
Chocolate is extremely dangerous to both dogs and cats. The toxic substance in chocolate is theobromine, and it is present in all chocolate—even the white kind. As a rule, the darker the chocolate, the more theobromine present, with the most dangerous being unsweetened baking chocolate and cocoa powder.
The signs of chocolate poisoning will usually appear about six to twelve hours after your pet has eaten it. Symptoms to watch for include:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhea
  • restlessness
  • frequent urination
  • tremors/seizures
  • elevated heart rate

If you think your pet may have ingested chocolate or any harmful substance, don’t hesitate to call us at 970-674-5105. It’s also a good idea to keep the ASPCA Poison Control Center number handy: (888) 426-4435.
Have a happy—and pet-safe—Valentine’s Day!

Coronavirus Updates - Garden Valley Veterinary Hospital

Our Hospital is Open With Precautions in Place to Keep You & Your Pets Safe